The ‘Special One’ Press Conference - Memorable quotes from Jose Mourin…

페이지 정보

작성자 Yetta 댓글 0건 조회 3회 작성일 24-10-02 20:07

본문

Mourinho's initial media appearance as Chelsea’s manager on June 2, 2004 is remembered as an iconic moment in football history. At that point, he was already well-known for guiding Porto to UEFA Champions League glory and a domestic title. His arrival at Chelsea was filled with excitement, with his charisma on full show during his introduction to English football.

In front of 250 journalists and 40 TV crews, the press conference began, highlighting its significance. With confidence, Mourinho stated, "We have top players and, I’m sorry if I sound arrogant, we have a top manager." He followed this by calling himself "a special one," a moniker that has stayed with him. This statement was not only bold but set the tone for Mourinho’s time at Chelsea FC, where his charisma and tendency to challenge norms made him both beloved and controversial.

Mourinho’s brashness was exemplified in his response to questions regarding the prior manager, Claudio Ranieri, who had doubted whether Portuguese managers could thrive in England. Mourinho assertively pointed out that his Porto team had beaten sides from several countries, including England and Italy, where Ranieri was coaching at the time. This set the stage for a rivalry between the two managers and established Mourinho’s reputation as a fearless, no-nonsense figure willing to defend his record.

Beyond the confrontational elements, Mourinho spoke about his ambition to build an attractive, strong football team. His press conference was the start of an era where Chelsea FC, under his guidance, won major titles, securing two Premier League championships, an FA Cup, and two League Cups between 2004 and 2007. Mourinho’s confidence wasn’t just talk; his results proved him right.

A key feature of Mourinho’s interactions with the media was his ability to stand by his words. Even when called arrogant, he stood firm, responding, "Don’t say I’m arrogant, I’m only telling the truth. I’m a European champion, so I think I’m a special one." His ability to turn a controversial statement into a badge of honor further solidified his media strategy and public persona.

Mourinho's impact extended beyond Chelsea, influencing media relations in football. Mourinho’s style was a sharp departure from Ranieri’s more restrained relationship with the press. Mourinho was engaging, charismatic, and at times confrontational, which made Chelsea seem more exciting and bold. His approach changed how managers interacted with the media, making him a central figure in football's evolving communication norms.

His knack for developing strong media relationships enabled him to craft his own storyline. Mourinho’s rapport with the media allowed him to use press conferences to deliver key messages subtly. This strategy helped him maintain media attention across his career, ensuring he stayed a headline figure even off the field.

His well-known remark, "If I speak, I’m in big trouble," made after a contentious decision in a match against Aston Villa, became one of his signature quotes. This quote reflected his mastery of media attention and his ability to create moments that transcended football.

The "Special One" press conference didn’t just mark the beginning of Mourinho’s era at Chelsea; it started a new chapter in football culture. Phrases like "park the bus" and "voyeur" became part of football lexicon due to his influence

댓글목록

등록된 댓글이 없습니다.